Find Out What Facebook Knows About You
Are you frightened by what businesses know about you on the internet? You’re not alone. Companies like Google and Facebook have been mining our information for years.
While this may upset some, it’s a cost of using their services.
And, it’s a huge benefit to advertisers. It’s why Facebook advertising, for instance, is so darn effective.
Go to your favorite site and see that Facebook LIKE icon there and whether you post the story on your Facebook page or not, Facebook just learned something about you.
Want to know what Facebook knows about you? You can easily find out. Just follow my steps here.
- Open your Facebook page.
- Look for a paid advertisement on your page.
- In the upper right hand corner of the ad, click on the “v” to open the drop down.
- Next, click on “Why am I seeing this?”
- Next, “Manage Your Ad Preferences”
- Now, you will come face to face with the topics that Facebook associates with you. Change them if you wish!
That makes sense then how they knew I liked water sports.
No two Facebook advertisement posts are promoted equally. Ad Age reports that the website has changed the branding of organic – unpaid – posts and actual paid advertisements on the news feeds of its 757 million daily users.
Social@Ogilvy conducted a study on the type of advertisements created by 106 national brands on Facebook. It was found that the percentage of organic ads went from 12 percent in October 2013 to just 6.2 percent in February of this year.
Four reasons were identified for this drop in the use of organic ads:
- The average number of Facebook friends a user has is 338 in comparison to 229 friends in 2010 (Pew Research Center)
- The average Facebook user follows 40 brand sin 2013.
- Facebook users are increasingly liking to external news sites like Buzzfeed.
- More brands are paying for ads to form impressions and drive higher click-through rates.
Even the positions of ads on Facebook have changed with the increase in paid ads among companies.
The social media site used to restrict ads to Right Hand Rail ads, those on the right hand column of the page. Now ads show up in news feeds for easier access on desktop and mobile devices and have resulted in increased revenues through higher click-through rates among users relative to the past.
Overall, Facebook is clearly moving in a direction of more responsive web design conducive to mobile users.
Anyone in the mobile marketing field knows how important it is to stay informed on all the recent news and information related to the field. With all the information available, however, it can be hard to decipher who to listen and who to skip. Well, we’re here to help. Check out our list of the Top 20 companies and people talking about mobile marketing on social media who YOU need to follow.
- MMA Global (Facebook, Twitter): an international association that seeks to promote both mobile marketing and advertising as critical communication tools.
- Mashable (Facebook, Twitter, Google+): self-described as the leading information of resources for the current “Connected Generation”
- Marketing Charts (Facebook, Twitter): breaks down the the latest trends in both digital and traditional marketing through charts, data, video, and other visuals.
- Marketing Profs (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+): provides marketing advice for close to 600,000 smart marketers worldwide.
- Engadget (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+): Without mobile gadgets, there can be no mobile marketing. Follow Engadget to find out about all the latest mobile devices being released for public enjoyment – and for marketing.
- IntoMobile (Facebook, Twitter): A top source for breaking news on mobile technology.
- Mobile Marketing Watch (Facebook, Twitter): As the self-proclaimed “pulse of the mobile marketing industry”, never miss MMW insight on consumer and B-2-B marketing via mobile.
- Mobile Commerce Daily: Stuck trying to figure out how to integrate commerce into your mobile strategy? Mobile Commerce Daily not only offers tips on how to do so, but shares how other pros do it effectively.
- Mobile Marketing Magazine (Facebook, Twitter, Google+): The best online print and online media magazine source for the international mobile marketing industry.
- Social Media Today (Facebook, Twitter, Google+) Provides followers with information on the latest social media trends and effective tools from a variety of bloggers.
- Greg Stuart - Current CEO for MMA Global who has been an expert in both the traditional and digital marketing world for over 30 years. He is the former CEO of the Interactive Advertising Bureau and author of What Sticks: Why Most Advertising Fails and How to Guarantee Yours Succeeds.
- David Murphy – Co-founder and editorial director for Mobile Marketing Magazine who discusses both news and events related to mobile marketing on Twitter.
- Samantha Murphy Kelly: a Tech Reporter at Mashable whose work has appeared online at CNN, Yahoo, CBS News, and even on radio shows like NPR. Kelley keeps Twitter followers up-to-date on news in the digital world.
- Kim Dushinki: As President of Mobile Marketing Profits and founder of the International Mobile Marketing Business Network, Dushinki is essentially a mobile marketing guru. Follow this author The Mobile Marketing Handbook to find out about all there is to know about the field we love best – mobile marketing.
- Ian Huckabee: a popular social strategist and technologist from the New York areae who shares information on mobile technology via Twitter.
- Mark Johnson: As President and CEO for Loyalty360, Johnson provides those in the marketing world with insight on how to build customer loyalty to one’s business or brand – especially through mobile.
- Geoff Alexander (Facebook,Twitter): this award-winning Google Adwords Specialist and Consultant helps businesses of all sizes boost their SEO results for the most popular search engine.
- Saffron Brady: A Digital Marketer from Dublin who keeps followers in the loop about the online marketing industry worldwide.
- Brianna Smith: Smith is a Marketing Coordinator in the St. Louis area specializing in social media for Fpweb.net. Follow her to get information on the social media world from a marketer’s perspective.
- Internet Marketing: Offers daily insight into online marketing in all its forms (Mobile, Search Engine, Internet, SEO).
According to Facebook’s latest Q2 earnings release, mobile accounts for a larger and larger share of both the social network’s monthly active users, and of their monthly ad revenues. Mobile ad revenues jumped 11% from Q1 to Q2 of 2013, reaching 41% of total ad revenues. In addition, mobile users now make up approximately 71% of Facebook’s total monthly active users.
Obviously, mobile is becoming increasingly important in the realm of advertising. It is imperative that companies begin to use mobile as a way to market their brands. For more information on how to incorporate mobile into your marketing strategy, visit atsMobile.
According to a recent eMarketer report, Google earned approximately $4.61 billion in mobile ad dollars, earning approximately 52% of mobile ad dollars globally. In addition, global earned approximately 1/3 of all global, digital ad dollars.
In 2013, Google’s dominance of mobile ad revenue is predicted to continue with an expected 55% of the global-ad revenue share. Facebook and Pandora will also increase their shares to 13% and 2.5%, respectively.
For more information on how to incorporate mobile into your marketing strategy, visit ATS Mobile.
The old website for Advanced Telecom Services will soon be shelved for a newer one that promotes our mobile marketing capabilities.
The history of Advanced Telecom Services is a storied one dating back to 1989. You can learn more about the very interesting history of this company by checking out our new Facebook Timeline page for Advanced Telecom Services.
The new page, developed by one of our summer interns, gives the history of Advanced Telecom Services which has been supplying telemedia services for four decades now.
- What is a Good Click Through Rate for Facebook and Mobile?
- Ask the Experts: Mobile Marketing for Pizza Restaurants
- Thanksgiving = More Food Sales for your Restaurant
- First Snowfall = Targeted Mobile Advertising
- Our Short Code Messaging Works on Both Sides of the Border
- How to Expand Your Business Internationally | Bob Bentz | atsMobile Blog on ATS-Prague Office
- Smartphone Ownership by Country: USA is 13th, Canada 14th | atsMobile Blog on Younger, Wealthier People Are More Likely To Own A Smartphone
- Mobile Marketing For Restaurants | atsMobile Blog on Why Text Messaging Works So Well for Restaurants
- Most Mobile Advertisers Now Using Geo-Targeting in Campaigns | atsMobile Blog on Mobile Advertising Going Local
- Premium SMS Services End in the United States | atsMobile Blog on Rules for Political Telemarketing
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- May 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- 800 numbers
- 900 numbers
- Cell Phone, Technology
- Cell Phones
- Company News
- Cool Stuff
- Credit Card Processing
- Custom QR Codes
- Czech Republic
- Internet Marketing
- Mobile Advertising
- Mobile Apps
- Mobile Billing
- Mobile Coupons
- Mobile Marketing
- Mobile SEO
- Mobile Websites
- Premium SMS
- QR Blog
- QR Codes
- Robo Calls
- Search Engine Marketing
- Social Media
- Text Message Marketing
- Text Messaging
- United Kingdom
- Website Development